Saturday, January 2, 2010

Bear stories

I was hiking the Appalachian Trail in the fall and had heard that there had been a lot of black bear activity along the AT. I had been hiking for about 24 miles and got to a shelter late. By the time I had fixed dinner, pitched my tent and hung my bear bag it was dark. I had read that if you sang songs it would scare bears away. It was late fall and there were no other hikers around. I had heard a lot of noises around the shelter and was expecting to see bears any minute. So I made up a song and sang it as load as I could. I made up my own words to Old MacDonald had a farm. It went bit like this "Old MacDonald had a woods and in the woods he had a bear and the bear said gerrrr hear and a gerrrr there and gerrrr all around." I sang it clear and load many times. I didn't hear any bears but I did hear someone off in the distance say, "Hey mister if you don't mind we are trying to get some sleep and would you please shut up." My voice had carried to a bunch of turkey hunters camping several miles away. I felt really embarrassed.

1 comment: