Thursday, February 24, 2011

Winter Hike

 The Trails are Calling


I have been like the black bears in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia in hibernation coming out for the first time this year. I took my first hike of the year in February of this year. It was along one of my favorite hikes a 8 mile plus hike of Doyles' and Joneses Run. I love the views of the small waterfalls along both streams. I also wanted to try out an ultralight pack I ordered from Ultralight Backpacking. I am always in the hunt for light weight backpacking equipment. I was diagnosed with a loss of all of my cartilage in my knees about 15 years ago after many years of marathon and ultramarathon running.  The doctors said I needed two knee replacements and I would not run or hike again. After three doctors opinions I decided to take glucosamine and chrondroitin and forget the doctors advise. I may not be the fastest hiker but I am still hiking the trails. I grew up in the country and I feel like I must return to it to be complete. The Doyles' and Joneses Run hike was perfect to start my season.







Waterfalls 






Therapy







In Virginia we look for the black bear to come out of hibernation in the month of February. I love to hike the trails looking for the signs of bear activity. I usually find bear tracks and scat along the trail.   










While taking pictures of the waterfalls along the trail I was almost hit by falling sheets of ice.








When I hike in the mountains I am reminded of the scripture Isaiah 49:13 - Sing, O heavens; and be joyful, O earth; and break forth into singing, O mountains: for the Lord hath comforted his people, and will have mercy upon his afflicted.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great hike. The scenery is beautiful on those trails.

    ReplyDelete