Monday, March 29, 2010

Enjoy Backpacking


I enjoy backpacking because I can be in total control of each hike. I can decide wheather to do a day, section or thru hike. But no matter how much time I have or how many miles I want to hike in a day I always find something unique to tell people when I come back. A good story always highlights every hike. This past week I completed two 8 mile hikes near Roanoke Virginia. I hiked MacAfee's Knob and Craig Creek sections of the AT. I try to keep in my mind that there are hundreds of people that will never ever see or experience the joys of hiking. As you reach one of those breath taking experiences on top of a mountain you have to know that only God could have created such a site. On top of Brush Mountain on the Craig Creek hike you find a memorial to Audie Murphy the most decorated veteran of WW II and actor who stared in 44 films. He crashed in a private plane on memorial day in 1971 killing himself and 4 others. If you never hiked that section of the AT you would never see that memorial.
Psalm 72:3 The mountains shall bring peace to the people, and the little hills, by righteousness.

2 comments:

  1. MacAfee's Knob is one of the most hiked trails near Roanoke Virginia along with the Dragon's Tooth hike. Both have beautiful views.

    ReplyDelete