Monday, March 1, 2010

Backpacking stoves


I have been in search of the perfect light weight backpacking stove. I need to hike as light as possible. I was supposed to have a double knee replacement about 8 years ago and the doctor told me to enjoy my natural knees as long as I could. So I began backpacking seriously 3 years ago. I hike on the average of 500+ miles a year. I still have my natural created knees. Before my knees went I ran on an average of 4 marathons and 3 ulta marathons a year and bicycled 500 miles a year. That is why I want to find the lightest of everything for my backpack. The backpacker stove is the first place to save weight. Keeping in mind that you will run into periods of bad weather you must not depend on wood as your primary fuel. The bush budy is a great wood burning stove but it must have dry wood to be an efficient cook stove. Cannister stoves like the jet boil and pocket rocket are great but are on the heavy side and you don't really know how much fuel is left in the cannister. They are excellent for short hikes of a few days in duration. Gasoline stoves tend to be more on the dangerous side. Years ago I had a gasoline stove blow up and leave me with 2nd or 3rd degree burns. I no longer carry white gas stoves. Everything starts to feel heavy after 4 or 5 days. Long distance hikers need to get up early, hike late and leave a short time to set up camp and eat before bedding down. We can hike a longer day for a greater distance with a lighter pack. I have been hiking solo because many of my friends want to hike longer distances but struggle with 40-65 pound packs and end up quiting after the first day. In the beginning I did the same thing because I didn't listen to the experienced hikers. I hike with the alcohol stove and carry the fuel in a plastic bottle. I carry esbit cubes in case I run late or the weather is bad. I never cook anything I just add boiling water and eat. I only boil water for coffee and oatmeal for morning, eat a dry lunch and boil water for a pouch meal for dinner. Carry only one light weight pot. Most people say that you can count on 2 pounds a day in weight for this type of menu. You can probably restock every week or two. Depending how long you hike during the day you can average with a light weight pack 10 to 30 miles a day. I hike a longer day because I like to study the biology and geology along the trail and have a tendancy to get to camp later. That means I have less time to hang around camp before I go to sleep. I try to hike all year round. If you have any suggestions let me hear from you.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Christian,

    Try the Titanium Goat Ti-Tri Caldera Cone. The beauty is that it is a three-fuel-source stove. Because it is made of titanium, aside from being light and strong, you can use it with Esbit tablets, alcohol, and natural wood sources. I find it wonderful to have variety and I no longer worry about running out of fuel. Typically I carry Esbit because it is the lightest, but if it runs out, I simply grab some ground duff and continue on. No big deal.

    If you like the simplicity of alcohol stoves, check out White Box Stoves (http://www.whiteboxstoves.com/) Mini Bull Designs (http://www.minibulldesign.com/).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip and I saw you us the caldera stove with esbit the last toothless hike you were on. Even in the wind the stove you used worked very well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the kind comment you posted. As a new camper I'd be interested in knowing what gear you carry. I'm trying to stay as light as possible but still stay within my budget and any insight would be helpful. Also, it's nice to read of another hiker/camper that finds solace in the natural "church." Happy Trails!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd go for the Ti-Tri + Inferno or BushBuddy. You don't need dry wood, you need fire making skills. You can find dry wood in a downpour, if you know where to look. If you have the skills, go for the BB, if not, go for the ti-Tri and carry an Esbit back-up. Also the Bushcooker LT 2 is an excellent stove, lightest of them all and burns alcohol, esbit and biomass. I have made videos on all three, so if you'd like to learn more, check my blog ;)

    ReplyDelete