Monday, March 15, 2010

No more snowAT

It looks as if there will not be any more snow this year. It is time to start hiking seriously again. The trails are muddy but if you use gaiters they will keep the mud and debris out of your boots. I usually use the short gaiters when just dealing with mud and leaves. I plan to do some day hikes around Roanoke Virginia. Dragons Tooth and MacAfee's Knob are a few very popular hikes with super views around Roanoke. The deep snow on the AT almost convinced me into buying some snow shoes. But I got over it. Most of the time I hike in the winter I hike cold. I like to put on 2 layers of synthetics for shirts and a simple one layer convertible pants. Usually no hat or gloves. I only put on a jacket or rain coat if I stop for more than a few minutes, especially if I break for lunch. The last hike I was on a friend went with me and he carried twice my pack weight and he wore multiple layers along with thermal underware. I will be glad to hike again. I am remodeling my house and I have a critically ill brother dieing from cancer. I need some time to be alone so I can talk with God and He can talk with me.

1 comment:

  1. great video post - I really like the music you added - nice touch.

    ReplyDelete